The HIV/AIDS Legal Centre (HALC) is currently looking for 2 volunteer PLT Students/Law Students/Solicitors to join our team for an immediate start.
About the organisation:
HALC provides free legal services to people affected by, and those most at risk of, HIV and Hep C (HCV) on HIV/HCV related legal matters.
We deal with a range of HIV/Hep C related legal issues including -
- Administrative Law
- Public Health
- Estate planning
- Social Security
Volunteers perform a variety of day-to-day tasks including -
- delivery of legal advice under the direct supervision of a solicitor;
- drafting of legal advice, submissions, applications to courts & tribunals and other legal correspondence
- maintaining accurate files and legal records
- client intakes
- casework and client interviews under directions from Solicitors;
- general administrative work
- researching legal and administrative laws and procedures;
- sensitivity to people affected by HIV and Hep C
- sensitivity towards clients from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds, the LGBTI community, sex workers, people who use drugs and persons with disabilities
- Ability to work fairly independently and with quick instructions. Proactively working on files allocated to you. (All work is supervised and monitored by Solicitors)
- ability to work under pressure
- basic computer skills
- ability to work in a small team/open office environment
We request applicants to commit to at least 3 days per week over a minimum 3 month period (preferably 4/5 days per week when completing PLT requirements). Please do not apply if cannot commit to the minimum days/time period required.
Send in your brief resume and cover letter indicating the number of days and specific days you will be able to work for to email@example.com
Unfortunately, due to the limited resources of our Centre, only applicants that progress to the next stage will be contacted.