Disability Advocate - Valley Heights Western Sydney
Are you seeking an opportunity to build on your qualifications, learn new skills and work in the Western Sydney/Blue Mountains region?
We are busy helping people with Disability Royal Commission support, NDIS Appeals and general advocacy support with a range of matters (e.g. legal, education, pensions, health, discrimination). We need a committed and professional person who will assist individuals with disability to ensure they are treated fairly. You will have support and guidance from an experienced and well-established team of advocates from our Valley Heights and Parramatta offices.
Disability Advocacy NSW (DA) www.da.org.au is part of Advocacy Law Alliance Inc. www.advocacylaw.org.au. We are a not-for-profit service that believes people with a disability have the right to equality, fairness, and a good quality of life. DA provides high quality social advocacy to support people with a disability across regional NSW.
What we can offer you:
- Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services (SCHADS), Level 4.1 - 4.4 depending on qualifications and experience, to be negotiated with the successful candidate within the salary range.
- 38 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
- Additional paid leave (in addition to statutory annual leave) during Christmas / New Year office closure - 2 weeks.
- Salary packaging options available within ATO limits and guidelines. Tax free salary packaging options can increase ‘take home’ pay.
- Collaborative team and leadership that will support you with your advocacy cases.
- Continuous skills training.
- Employment will be initially offered for a fixed term, 12-month contract from commencement with options for renewal by us.
- You must undertake a criminal history check prior to approval for employment.
1. Individual Advocacy
- Advocating on clients’ behalf or supporting clients to advocate for themselves.
- Linking clients with other relevant services that can assist in the advocacy process (e.g. obtaining legal advice)
- Supporting clients to participate in formal dispute resolution settings (e.g. discrimination tribunals, courts, NCAT, NDIS Appeals at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, Guardianship Tribunal etc.).
- Supporting clients to understand, access and interact with the Disability Royal Commission, including assistance with submissions.
2. Intake and Issue Assessment
- Interviewing clients who contact the service and ascertain in detail the issues they are experiencing.
- Establishing whether the client’s issue is within scope of services Disability Advocacy NSW provides.
- Analysing the information provided by the client or referrer and researching all pertinent areas before triaging the issue based on Disability Advocacy NSW’s service access criteria.
- When appropriate, providing information and support to the client so that they can undertake self-advocacy.
- Where advocacy is not appropriate, facilitating referral to a service who can better meet the needs of the client.
- Meeting regularly with the Regional Coordinator and Regional team to discuss individual cases.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications (examples only: law, legal studies, social work, psychology, social science, welfare studies, community services).
- Experience and skills relevant to advocating people from disadvantaged or vulnerable groups.
- Proven skills in the following areas: oral and written communication, research, problem solving and negotiation.
- Knowledge of key disability issues such as the NDIS and Disability Royal Commission.
- Driven by integrity, responsibility, accountability, attention to detail and pride in work.
- A current driver’s licence or other reasonable method of transport to attend client visits if required.(Work vehicles available)
People with disability or from ATSI or CALD backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Have you got?
- A cover letter including contact details
- A document that addresses each of the selection criteria listed above (please include this with your cover letter or resume document for ease of submission via Seek)
- Current resume including and two current professional referees
Then hit ‘apply now via Seek ensuring everything is included so your application can be considered
Applications close Friday 26th February 2021
Enquiries regarding the position can be directed to Amanda Brickwood email@example.com