The Senior Criminal Lawyers are to provide high quality legal services, including duty lawyer services, representation, advice and information on criminal law matters to members of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community in Victoria.
What A Day as A Senior Criminal Lawyer Looks Like
- You will appear as a senior advocate in various courts to represent clients of VALS;
- Conduct casework in criminal law matters, including serious indictable matters, for members of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities;
- Ensure all VALS clients are represented whilst in custody and provide emergency advice to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Victoria.
- Supervise, mentor and train staff working in the criminal law;
- You will have the ability to act in a higher duties capacity when required.
- Support Community Legal Education and advocacy campaigns as required;
- Participate in case-planning meetings with the criminal law section weekly;
- Work cooperatively with other community organisations;
- Maintain an understanding of issues impacting the justice system and members of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities;
- You will be required to travel across Victoria to deliver services to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. Sometimes this travel will occur outside of usual business hours; and
- As directed, undertake other duties which are incidental and peripheral to the main tasks, provided that such duties are reasonably within the employee’s skills, competence and training.
Key Selection Criteria
- Admitted or eligible for admission as a legal practitioner in Victoria;
- Substantial knowledge of and practical experience in the law and court procedures with a focus on the criminal law jurisdiction;
- Sound interpersonal skills and the capacity to communicate effectively with members of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community;
- Member or eligible to be a Victoria Legal Aid Panel member for summary, indictable and youth matters;
- Accredited Criminal Law Specialist.
- Experience working in the not-for-profit sector.
Please send your Resume/ CV together with a Cover Letter which addresses the Key Selection Criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is located in Mildura, Victoria.