The position of judicial associate is responsible for providing a high level of administrative support to a judicial officer. Travel on circuit and judicial relief locations, both intra and interstate may be required.
The purpose of this position is to ensure:
- that the judicial officer is able to conduct the business of the Court in a professional and efficient manner
- the timely completion of all tasks associated with court hearings, and
- to actively participate as a member of the judicial support team.
This role requires an individual who works well in a team environment. The position involves a number of competing priorities and therefore requires good organisational skills to meet these demands.
The position of Judicial Associate to Appeals Judge has regular and substantial contact with members of the judiciary, court staff, legal practitioners, clients and external agencies including:
- liaison with client service / case coordination staff in respect to court files
- liaison with legal practitioners and clients in respect of orders and judgments and the listing of matters before the judicial officer
- liaison with external agencies including Legal Aid and the Australian Federal Police, and
- liaison with the Team Leader Judicial Support in respect to the judicial court calendar, leave and travel approvals, and other judicial entitlements.
The major responsibilities of the Judicial Associate to Appeals Judge include:
- attending court with the judicial officer from time to time, including circuit sittings, to provide administrative support to the judicial officer during all trials, pre-trials and duty lists
- managing court files prior to and at the completion of trials to ensure that the files are maintained and up to date
- providing a high level of administrative support to the judicial officer to ensure the prompt distribution of orders and judgments
- entering data accurately into the Court’s case management and other information systems to reflect the workload of the judicial officer
- making travel arrangements (flight bookings, accommodation reservations and car bookings) associated with circuit and relief sittings, and attendance at meetings and conferences
- updating the judicial officer’s loose-leaf filing system to ensure that he/she has access to the most recent legislation and reference material
- undertaking personal work as required by the judicial officer, and
- providing assistance, if required, at conferences, functions and/or meetings to ensure that the respective event is conducted in a professional manner.