The Deputy Associate is part of a team who assist the Judge in the day-to-day management of Chambers and Court. The role of the Deputy Associate is to assist the Associate and deputise for them when they are on leave or on circuit.
The Judge, in whose chambers this position is located, exercises the Court's general federal law jurisdiction, focusing on judicial review of migration decisions, industrial law and human rights matters together with some consumer and commercial law matters. This position involves no exposure to family law matters.
- Undertake legal research as required by the Judge.
- Type judgments and orders.
- Court attendance including performance of court officer duties and provision of administrative assistance in the courtroom.
- Assist the Associate in the day to day management of chambers including correspondence, liaison with practitioners and court staff, use of court’s case management system, chambers and docket management.
- Manage chambers in the absence of the Associate.
- Other duties as required.
- LLB or graduand with credit plus average. Please attach copies of all academic transcripts.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake legal research.
- Strong communication (oral and written) and liaison skills with the ability to communicate with people at all levels.
- Demonstrated high-level keyboard skills and ability to use relevant software applications including Microsoft Office applications, lotus notes and internet.
- Demonstrated organisational skills, including the ability to manage several processes at once.
- The ability to adapt to changing situations and priorities.
- Tolerance, diligence and the ability to work as member of a small team.
- A high standard of ethical behaviour.
Please note this Judge does not sit in the family law jurisdiction.