Redfern Legal Centre is seeking an enthusiastic PLT student to work 2-3 days per week under the supervision of our International Student solicitor.
In this role, you will gain valuable experience supporting international students with a diverse range of legal issues, and assisting with the development of law reform and community legal education materials.
Responsibilities include client intake, file review, general administration, research, legal drafting, interviewing clients, drafting content for submissions, articles and social media content, and follow-up on client matters, under the supervision of the practice solicitor.
Essential Selection Criteria
- Completion of law degree and eligibility to commence Practical Legal Training
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated experience in administration and/or customer service
- Strong understanding of ethical practice issues affecting community legal centres, including confidentiality and conflict of interest
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues affecting RLC’s client groups and an interest in the work of RLC's international student practice
Desirable (but not essential)
- Ability to speak a relevant community language
- Previous front desk experience at Redfern Legal Centre will be highly regarded.
Applicants must complete the online application form, ticking the ‘PLT - Other’ checkbox, and uploading the following documents in PDF format.
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria using separate numbered headings. Applications that do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
- A CV, including contact details, education, experience and two or three referees (include names, addresses and contact details).
- A copy of your academic transcript.
- Please address your application to Sean Stimson. If you have any queries, or if you need help lodging your online application, email RLC Communications and Volunteer Manager Finn O’Keefe at email@example.com.
Applications close: Thursday, 18 August 2022 at 9am.