EMPLOYMENT CONDITIONS: VOLUNTARY POSITION
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: VOLUNTARY
REPORTING TO: PRINCIPAL SOLICITOR/SOLICITOR
Peel Community Legal Services (PCLS) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation providing a diverse range of services including;
- Information and advice
- Community legal education
PCLS provides access to legal and advocacy services to disadvantaged people in our community. These include people such as those on low incomes, have difficulty in accessing legal services, people with disabilities, women, young people, indigenous people and people from non-English speaking backgrounds. The organisation works with clients to reduce the likelihood of litigation and negative social consequences related to lack of access to justice by providing legal advice, education and information.
- To assist PCLS staff in the provision of support, advice and advocacy to clients in Mandurah and the broader Peel Region
- To assist PCLS staff in the provision of casework to specific clients as identified by the organisation’s strategic priorities and as resources allow
- To provide appropriate referrals
- To assist in the development and delivery of PCLS’s community legal education and training initiatives
- To work as part of the PCLS team to achieve the aims and purposes of the organisation
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- SERVICE DELIVERY
Under the supervision of the Principal Solicitor and Solicitor, assist in:
- Taking client instructions and client interviews
- Providing legal advice in accordance with service guidelines;
- Providing referrals where appropriate;
- Drafting letters confirming: time limitations, instructions given, action that can be taken and alternative options;
- Ensuring that comprehensive and clearly written file notes recording the advice given are securely attached to the agreement and are dated and initialled by the Principal Solicitor or the Solicitor as appropriate;
- Making follow-up appointments where required; and
- Other duties as instructed.
- COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, NETWORKING AND LAW REFORM – All staff
- Develop, maintain and facilitate PCLS’s role within the community
- Maintain and enhance PCLS’s public profile, in conjunction with other workers and as directed by the Manager, through the preparation of media releases and articles, media appearances, presentation at meetings, seminars and conferences, and represent PCLS in public forums
- Represent PCLS in dealings with State and Federal Governments, community and professional organisations and other organisations where appropriate
- Assist in PCLS’s publications activities, including the preparation of kits, books, submissions, reports, newsletters and other publications
- GENERAL – All staff
- Comply with all organisation policy and procedure
- Ensure compliance with occupational health and safety directives and practices at all times
- Participate in learning opportunities and training offered
- Participate in professional development opportunities when appropriate
- Participate in the development and review of PCLS’s strategic plan and work in accordance with work plan
- Participate in staff meetings and other meetings as required
- Communicate with and inform other staff in relation to developments in their areas of work and the operation of the organisation both internally and externally
- Maintain statistics and other records as required by funding bodies and PCLS
- Other duties as directed by Manager and/or Solicitor/ Principal Solicitor
- Completion or near completion of the coursework component of a recognised PLT program.
- Demonstrated capacity to work respectfully with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain clear professional boundaries
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- A commitment to working within a social justice and human rights framework.
- A commitment to working respectfully with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- A commitment to working in multidisciplinary partnerships, both internally and across the region, and within a community development framework
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Community Legal Centre Sector
Peel Community Legal Services Inc.