Sycamore Legal is a boutique law firm focussed on all cross-border legal issues between Australia, Hong Kong and China, ranging from M&A, investment projects, commercial litigations, to family matters and succession law etc. Our principal lawyer is a seasoned practitioner admitted and practising in both Australia and Hong Kong.
To cope with the high volume of work arising recently, we are recruiting an unpaid and part-time PLT volunteer who can meet the following requirements: -
- Good command of Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin), in addition to English, is essential;
- A good understanding of, and preferably with some connections (such as family or business ties) with, Hong Kong and/or Mainland China, not only about the law, but also history, culture, politics and current affairs etc.
- Have completed a law degree or at the final stage of completion. Those with a background in or previous exposure to other disciplines than law will be highly regarded;
- A genuine interest in cross-border legal issues in both jurisdictions, i.e. Australia and Hong Kong/China. The position is particularly suitable for overseas students from Hong Kong who plan to return to Hong Kong or to obtain a legal qualification in Hong Kong as well;
- Mature, dedicated, hardworking and attentive to details;
- Incumbent must be able to commit at least 3 days a week on a full-time basis.
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Undertaking legal research, drafting legal documents and correspondences;
- Liaising with clients and lawyers in Hong Kong and China;
- Researching and writing articles on new development of law in both jurisdictions;
- Assisting in marketing initiatives;
- Various general office duties.
In return, the selected candidate will be rewarded with an interesting and challenging workload and mentored by an experienced practitioner. Those with outstanding performance and contribution may be given a gratuitous cash bonus upon satisfactory completion of the PLT. Depending on requirements of client and work, travelling opportunities to Hong Kong/China is also possible.
If you find this is a role for you, please write to our PLT administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and CV, addressing the selection criteria above.