Our Sydney office is currently recruiting a PLT student to work with our Public Interest Law team. As a PLT student with this service, you will develop practical and procedural legal experience and skills across various practice areas.
We are recruiting for a PLT student to work 3-5 days per week for a minimum of 50 days with an October start. Position will be advertised until filled.
Public Interest Law is a central part of Justice Connect’s strategy of delivering access to justice through pro bono. The Public Interest Law service makes referrals to pro bono lawyers on behalf of individuals experiencing disadvantage and organisations that assist them or where the matter is in the public interest.
Public Interest Law PLTs will undertake the following:
· intake of new telephone enquiries
· taking information and communicating with clients
· file management: maintaining accurate client information
· providing supervised legal information to clients
· supporting the work of Public Interest Law projects, including communicating with lawyers, case workers, courts/tribunals
· drafting correspondence and referral memoranda
· legal research, analysis and problem solving
The Justice Connect Sydney office is located in the Sydney CBD. This is an unpaid position.
Applications will be assessed on a demonstrated interest in and commitment to not-for-profit organisations and the community sector.
To be eligible for this position, you must:
· have completed a law degree
· be currently completing professional legal education to gain admission to practice (ie: through College of Law or equivalent institution)
· be prepared to attend Justice Connect at least two days per week for a minimum of 50 days of practical legal training
· not yet be admitted to practice
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are highly encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the positions will be open until filled.
How to Apply:
Applications should comprise of a single Word or PDF document including; a cover letter and CV.
Please ensure your cover letter includes:· your available start date, your preferred days, how many days placement you can commit to and the details of your GDLP provider.
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single Word or PDF file including “PLT Application – Public Interest Law - Sydney” in the email subject line.