knowmore’s lawyers will provide high quality legal services to clients in a culturally safe and appropriate manner within a trauma informed and multi-disciplinary framework.
This role delivers front line legal services and reports directly to either a Managing Lawyer or a Senior Lawyer in the relevant knowmore office, depending on the size of the legal team. This role works collaboratively as a member of the national legal team and within knowmore’s multi-disciplinary model, working alongside other teams delivering intake, social work and cultural support services to clients. At times the role will also work with other partner services to support clients.
The role will advise clients who are survivors of child sexual abuse about redress and compensation options, including redress claims under the National Redress Scheme, and acting for clients making such claims. Lawyers will also contribute to knowmore’s policy and law reform work and prepare and deliver community legal education and participate in other community engagement activities, working cooperatively and collaboratively with other staff and service providers.
Guided by the organisation’s service plan, the role will involve intrastate and interstate travel to deliver services to clients on an outreach basis, and to undertake community engagement activities. Accordingly, a current drivers’ license is highly desirable, along with the ability and willingness to travel, including to remote and regional locations for up to a week at a time, and to work out of hours.
Duties and responsibilities
- Providing high-quality legal information, advice, representation and referral services to clients who are survivors of child sexual abuse, through telephone and face to face services
- Contributing as a professional member of a national legal practice; complying with the rules and requirements of relevant legal profession legislation and the Community Legal Centre Risk Management Guide.
- Working cooperatively and collaboratively, both within knowmore’s multi-disciplinary model of teams of legal and non-legal staff, and with external service providers, to ensure client’s legal and other needs are identified and actioned in a consistent, effective and timely way.
- Manage a significant caseload of client matters ensuring all service standards and timelines are met
- Ensure all relevant service data is accurately recorded.
- Making referrals, including warm referrals, to other service providers where appropriate.
- Undertaking legal research and drafting to support knowmore’s contributions to law reform and policy and procedural initiatives relating to its client group.
- Contribute to the preparation and delivery of community legal education and other engagement activities and materials.
- Undertaking and participating in the development and delivery of ongoing training and professional development activities for knowmore staff and service partners.
- Contribute to the day-to-day supervision and co-ordination of the activities of volunteers and pro bono providers.
- Proactively manage own self-care and workload.
- Act as a Senior Lawyer if required.
- Undertake other duties and projects as directed.
- Demonstrate an active and dedicated commitment to knowmore’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Comply with knowmore’s Policies and Procedures.
- Observe all legal and legislative requirements.
- Ensure a high level of confidentiality and integrity.
- Assist in the development of, and participate in knowmore’s initiatives, projects and events.
- Cultivate productive and collaborative working relationships and outcomes through open an inclusive planning, continuous improvement and transparent work practices.
- Liaise with others in a professional, respectful and constructive manner.
- Take reasonable care to protect their health and safety and the health and safety of others.
- To engage in professional supervision and other reflective practice opportunities as required.
- Hold or be eligible to hold a current practicing certificate in the relevant jurisdiction.
- An awareness of the legal issues facing survivors of child sexual abuse and demonstrated experience practicing in a relevant area or areas of law; (such as experience in personal injury law and/or acting for victims of crime or other clients who have experienced complex trauma).
- Understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and the ability to provide culturally safe services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work flexibly, collaboratively and professionally within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple priorities and timelines across a significant caseload of matters and the ability to work at times with minimal supervision, but to consistently consult and report appropriately.
- Capacity to accept and respond appropriately to constructive feedback regarding professional capability and work performance.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in regional, rural and remote areas, for up to a week at a time.
Qualifications and other requirements
There are mandatory qualifications for this role. A relevant tertiary qualification and professional accreditation is required.
The successful candidate will be required to satisfactorily complete a National Police Records Check and a Working with Children Check.
The role may involve intrastate and interstate travel to deliver services to clients on an outreach basis, and to undertake community engagement activities. Accordingly a current driver’s licence is desirable.
This job description is incorporated into the employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in light of strategic developments following discussion with the position holder. The role will be expected to work to agreed objectives, which should facilitate achievement of the key responsibilities in accordance with the performance review process.