The ODPP WEPP offers students the opportunity to gain direct experience in criminal law. Students interested in applying for the WEPP must have a genuine interest in criminal law, demonstrate they can work both in a team and autonomously, have highly developed written and oral communication skills and are enrolled and completing Practical Legal Training (PLT).
The ODPP has the ability to host students in a number of locations including Brisbane, Beenleigh, Cairns, Ipswich, Maroochydore, Rockhampton, Southport, Toowoomba and Townsville.
About the WEPP
- The ODPP WEPP is a four week, full time, unpaid placement.
- Students will be allocated to a Chamber (work unit either in Brisbane or a regional location) for the duration of their placement. The Program offers students the opportunity to:
- Experience the professional environment of a busy criminal law practice.
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the ODPP and its role and functions within the criminal justice system.
- Work alongside and learn from some of the most senior and experienced criminal lawyers and barristers in Queensland.
- Assess their own performance and gain insight into their ‘professional self’.
- Gain an insight into the preparation of real criminal cases.
- Be involved in a range of activities – from opening and closing files, preparation for mentions and callovers to accompanying prosecutors to Court.What we look for:
- Must have a genuine interest in criminal law;
- Demonstrate you can work in a team and autonomously;
- Have highly developed written and oral communication skills.
Complete the attached WEPP Application Form and submit along with your current CV (no more than 2 pages) and academic transcript to Jayne Watt via firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: COB: 19/05/2017